Island News & Views
Go to Site Index See "Island News & Views" main page
Something a dog would die for?
General · 2nd June 2010
Susan Westren, from the web
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores, contains an ingredient called
'theobromine' that is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several doggy deaths - not on Quadra! - have been reported in the last month.
Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.